Prep time: one hour
- 1/3 cup white wine
- ½ cup mirin
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 Tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 pieces of cod, approximately 6 ounces each (salmon can also be used)
- 1 Tablespoon black sesame seeds for garnish, toasted
- Seeds of one pomegranate
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 medium-sized eggplant, cubed into 1” pieces
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- zest of one lime
- handful of coriander leaves
- 6 Tablespoons canola oil for frying – (this will do for two batches of eggplant)
- Sea salt to taste
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 crushed clove of garlic
- Mix together ingredients for marinade.
- Put cod into marinade, covering fish so that it is fully coated, and allow to marinate in refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
- Remove cod from marinade and sear on the grill for two minutes on each side.
- Transfer cod to an ovenproof dish, pour the marinade over them again and allow to cook at 375 degrees for ten minutes.
- Toast black sesame seeds in a pan on low to medium heat for four minutes, then set aside.
- Cut the eggplant into half-inch cubes and fry them in two batches in the canola oil.
- Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel and allow eggplant to drain.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Mix pomegranate seeds, 3 spring onions, ginger, lime zest and fresh coriander in a bowl, adding eggplant.
- Mix dressing ingredients and pour over salad.
- Place cod on top of salad.
- Sprinkle black sesame seeds and remaining spring onion over cod and serve.