BLUEBERRY GRAPEFRUIT MUFFINS
These muffins have a lot going on – blueberries, grapefruit juice (with a little pulp thrown in for texture), poppy seeds, and yogurt. I was feeling experimental, and this is one of those recipes that makes me think I should follow my instincts more often. It’s breakfast in a muffin tin: juice, fruit, and carbs, and there’s no need for butter because they already have so much flavor. These were gone in a few seconds, though I managed to save one for the biggest vegetarian in our family – Auggie, the shaggy rescue dog – he loves blueberries, and these muffins!
Blueberry Grapefruit Muffins
Prep time: 45 minutes
Serves: makes 9 muffins
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon grapefruit zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup plain yogurt
- 6 tablespoons fresh grapefruit juice
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 ½ tablespoons poppy seeds
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a muffin pan with paper muffin holders.
- Mix together flour, salt and baking powder.
- Mix grapefruit zest into cup of sugar, using fingers to mix it well.
- Mix oil, eggs and vanilla and beat with electric mixer for 3 minutes on high. Add half of the dry ingredients and the yogurt and mix together on low.
- Add rest of dry ingredients, 5 tablespoons of the grapefruit juice and 1 tablespoon of poppyseeds. Fold in fresh blueberries.
- Spoon batter into muffin tin, filling each paper holder ¾ full. Bake for 27-30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Mix together ½ tablespoon poppyseeds with ½ cup powdered sugar and 1-2 teaspoons of grapefruit juice to make a light glaze.
- Top muffins with the glaze and allow a few minutes for it to set before serving.