Prep time: 1 hour
- 1 4-5 pound butternut squash
- 3 tablespoons butter or olive oil, plus more olive oil for roasting the squash
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ cup cream
- ½ cup maple syrup
For the lime cream:
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- zest and juice of one lime
- Cut squash into six large pieces. Scrape seeds out and discard. Brush with melted butter or olive oil and roast in the oven at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Let cool and peel.
- In a heavy-bottomed pan, melt butter and sauté onions until wilted. Add curry and stir, making sure not to burn.
- Add squash and chicken stock.
- Let soup simmer, season with salt and pepper.
- Add in maple syrup and remove from heat. Puree soup in food processor, or with a hand processor.
- Add cream and return to stove to heat.
For lime cream:
- Whip cream and sugar until firm.
- Add lime juice and whip again until soft peaks form. Gently fold in lemon zest.
- To serve, pour soup into bowl and top with a dollop of cream.