Halibut with Asparagus, Peas, Parsley and Wine
Recipe adapted from Stella, in the Daily Telegraph
Prep time: 40 minutes
- 4 halibut steaks of about 7 ounces each and one inch thick
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 shallots
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 ½ teaspoons Red Boat fish sauce (available at most grocery stores in the Asian foods section)
- 3 ounces fish stock
- 3 ounces white wine
- 2 ounces dry sherry
- 20 asparagus spears
- 6 ounces peas
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
- Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan and cook the fish for three minutes on each side until gold but not cooked through.
- Set aside on another plate and cover to keep warm.
- Add the rest of the olive oil and cook the shallots over medium heat until they’re soft, and add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the fish sauce, fish stock, wine, and sherry to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce liquid by a third. In a separate saucepan cook the asparagus tips and peas for two to three minutes until tender.
- Run cold water over vegetables to stop cooking.
- Lower the heat on the stock and add the fish.
- Cook fish through – about five more minutes. Add asparagus and peas, heat through and scatter parsley.
- Adjust the seasoning and serve immediately