Beatrix Potter’s Blackberry and Apple Upside Down Cake
Prep time: one hour
- 2 Tablespoons softened butter for bottom of cake tin
- 3 Tablespoons honey
- 2 large, firm eating apples
- 1 pint blackberries
- ½ cup butter for cake batter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ¾ cup white self-raising flour
- 2 Teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon cold water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of butter with the honey and spread over the base of a round cake tin that is at least 2 inches deep.
- Peel and core apples and chop into half-inch cubes. Arrange apples and blackberries over the honey and butter in bottom of cake tin.
- Cream ½ cup of butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Slowly beat in eggs.
- Sift the flour with the cinnamon and fold into the creamed mixture. Stir in enough water to make a soft dropping consistency and cover the fruit evenly with the cake batter.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool for a few minutes before turning out on a warm plate.
- Allow tin to sit on top of cake for several minutes to allow the juices to run into the cake. Serve with sour cream or plain yogurt.