The souffle can be made up to 3 hours in advance, and stored in the refrigerator. Remove from refrigerator 20 minutes before baking.
Prep time: one hour
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup sifted flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- pinch of paprika
- 2 cups milk
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 eggs
- optional: aluminum foil for soufflé collar
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Add in flour, salt, and paprika and mix well.
- Slowly stir in milk and keep stirring until sauce thickens. Add cheese and stir until melted. Remove from heat
- Beat 8 egg yolks until well mixed and gradually pour into cheese mixture, stirring constantly.
- Beat 8 egg whites until stiff and fold gently into cheese mixture. Turn mixture into a 10-inch soufflé dish. To create a crown around the top of the soufflé, run a knife around the edge of the soufflé, about one inch from the rim of the soufflé dish, making a small indentation all around.
- Bake 10 minutes at 475 degrees, then reduce heat to 400 degrees and bake for 25 minutes.
- Optional: I fold a collar of foil and place it around the outside of the soufflé. It seems to keep the soufflé from listing to one side or the other.
- Serve immediately.