This recipe comes from the Philippines. It has a rich molasses taste that you will love. You can use brown sugar, or the hardened brown sugar that I used, which came from an Asian grocery store. Serves: 10 Prep time: 40 minutes, allowing for twenty minutes to cook the sugar
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 4 cups of thinly sliced fresh coconut, or four cups of dried coconut flakes
- 2 halves of hardened brown sugar, or 2 cups of brown sugar
- Melt sugar in coconut milk on medium heat, stirring constantly so it will not burn.
- Cook until syrup forms a soft ball when dropped into cold water, or 240 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- Add the coconut until well incorporated.
- Use a tablespoon to drop mixture into small haystack-shaped piles and allow to cool.