This recipe is also one of Lady Bird Johnson’s. When I was making the Divinity, I noticed this recipe on the page beside it and thought it would be fun to try it. It turned out really well. Next time I would add different nut to make it even more interesting: pistachio and pecans would be good with the “brittle” part of the candy. Serves: 8 Prep time: 20 minutes to mix together, one hour for candy to harden
- 1 ½ cups peanuts, unsalted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon soda
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup of water
- 2 tablespoons white corn syrup
- 1 heaping tablespoon butter
- Mix together peanuts, salt and soda.
- In a large saucepan, add 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup granulated sugar, 2/3 cup of water and 2 tablespoons white corn syrup.
- Cook without stirring until mixture reaches 290 degrees on a candy thermometer, or hard ball stage.
- Remove from heat, add peanuts and butter, stirring just enough to combine.
- Pour into baking sheet lined with parchment paper and sprayed with baking spray.
- Allow to harden (if your brittle doesn’t harden within an hour, stick it in the refrigerator for an hour). Break into pieces and serve.