- 1 chicken, cut into pieces (lots of chicken bones add to the flavor of the sauce)
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- ¼ pound smoked, streaky bacon
- ¼ pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 to 2 cups of water, depending upon your desired thickness for the sauce
- Brown chicken pieces in butter on high heat.
- Place them in a casserole dish.
- Cut bacon into small pieces and fry until almost crisp.
- Pour off bacon fat.
Lower heat and cook onion, garlic and chopped bacon for five minutes.
- Add mushrooms, bouillon cubes, and flour, then tomato paste, wine and water.
Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Pour over chicken, cover and place in preheated oven at 320 degrees for one and one half hours.
If cooking for the next day, bake in oven for an hour, than bake for a half hour the next day before serving.
- It also freezes well.
- Good with spiced rice or potatoes.