Prep time: For the polenta: 10 minutes plus several hours in the refrigerator to harden; 25 minutes for the rest
For the polenta:
- 1 24-ounce bag of polenta (I used half for dinner the night before, and half of it for breakfast)
- 2 tablespoons sage, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- water – refer to directions on polenta bag, as amount of water to be used may vary.
- Bring water to a boil and add polenta, stirring constantly.
- Add salt, pepper and olive oil. Mixture will be thick.
- Stir in sage. For making grilled polenta cakes, spread polenta, about ½ inch thick, into the bottom of a rectangular glass pan and refrigerate.
- When ready to use, cut out rounds of polenta with a biscuit cutter, or simply use a knife to cut polenta into 3-inch by 3-inch squares.
- Grill on a hot grill for 10-15 minutes, until grill marks begin to show, and remove from heat, setting aside and keeping warm.
For the vegetables and herbs:
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped roughly
- one garlic glove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons scallions, chopped
- a selection of herbs, several sprigs of each as available: parsley, sage, thyme, lovage, chives and/or rosemary, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- Chop herbs and mix together loosely, setting aside for now.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil and cook garlic for a minute at medium heat, until fragrant.
- Add scallions, tomatoes, salt, and pepper for another minute, then add spinach.
- Cook just until spinach begins to reduce and remove pan from heat. In another frying pan, fry eggs in groups of two each.
- While eggs are frying, place two warm polenta cakes on each of four plates, and divide the sautéed vegetables on top of them.
- Add two fried eggs to each plate, and sprinkle with herbs.
- Serve immediately.
- This can also be served in a chafing dish and kept warm for a time, though the yolks of the eggs should not be allowed to harden – you want the yellow of the egg running all over the rest of the ingredients. Enjoy!