Prep time: 40 minutes
- 1 pound small purple potatoes
- 1 small seedless cucumber, peeled and chopped into ½-inch pieces
- ¼ cup purple basil pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt plus 2 tablespoons of salt for boiling the potatoes
- ½ teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
For the cilantro pesto:
- 1 ½ cups cilantro leaves, chopped
- ½ cup almonds, toasted
- ½ cup freshly shaved parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Boil potatoes in salted water until tender, about 10 minutes.
- While they are cooking, fire up the grill.
- Strain water from potatoes and slice them in half.
- Combine 2 tablespoons olive oil and the salt and pepper and brush on potatoes.
- Grill for 2 minutes on each side, remove from grill and place in a serving bowl.
- Mix all of the pesto ingredients and process in a food processor for 30 seconds.
- Add basil and cucumber to potatoes, then add pesto and mix well.
- Place in refrigerator and if possible, allow to sit overnight to allow the flavors to be absorbed into the potatoes.