Prep time: two hours
- 1 ½ cups dry black-eyed peas
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups water
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 ½ cups long-grain brown rice
- Green onion, chopped, for garnish
- In a large pot combine the black-eyed peas, onion, salt and pepper.
- Add water, stir, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook bean mixture for 1 ½ hours, covered until black-eyed peas have softened.
- While beans are cooking, cook bacon on stovetop until crispy.
- Cool and break into pieces.
- When black-eyed peas are cooked, add bacon and stir in the rice.
- Cover and cook until rice is tender, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve hot topped with chopped green onion.