Korean Rice mixed with Meat and Vegetables
Prep time: 1 ½ hours
For the beef:
- 1 pound ribeye beef, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- Mix all ingredients and marinate for at least one hour – overnight is best.
- Grill or sauté in a large frypan until golden brown.
For the rice:
- 1 cup sushi or white jasmine rice
- 1 ½ cups cold water
- Rinse rice, put in a 2-quarte saucepan and add water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium heat.
- When water is absorbed by rice, turn heat to low and cover until rice is soft.
- Set aside.
For the vegetables:
- 1 small zucchini, julienned
- 1 pound of sprouted mung beans
- 2 medium sized carrots, julienned
- 10 caps of shitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch of spinach
- 2 tablespoons canola or peanut oil
- Salt to taste
- Saute vegetables separately with 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Add salt as desired.
- Set aside.
For the eggs:
- 4 eggs, cooked over easy
For the sauce:
- 3 tablespoons of gochujang (a Korean condiment available at Asian stores) OR 2 tablespoons of chile sauce
- ½ teaspoons of minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Mix all ingredients together
- Put a cup of steamed rice in a bowl. (If you have a metal or stone bowl to preheat, it will make the rice extra crunchy underneath.)
- Add vegetables and meat.
- Top with an egg.
- Add a teaspoon of the sauce, or more to taste.
- Mix together and enjoy!