Lamb and Barley Stew
Prep time: 1 ½ hours
- 6 pieces lamb shank on the bone, or butterflied leg of lamb if lamb shank is not available, 3 pounds
- ¾ cup barley (rinsed)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 cups water
- ½ cup dried split green peas (soaked in water for one hour)
- 2 medium carrots, cubed to ¼ inch size
- 2 medium red bliss potatoes, cubed to ¼ inch size
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, boil together lamb, barley, onions, garlic, leeks, bay leaf, salt, pepper and water.
- Let simmer for one hour.
- Remove shank bone.
- Cut meat into bite-sized pieces and discard bone.
- Put meat back into pot and add peas.
- Add carrots and potatoes.
- When peas are tender, allow to cook for 15 more minutes.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.