Prep time: 50 minutes
For the latkes, or potato pancakes:
- 2 large potatoes
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 egg yolks, well beaten
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt (kosher is best)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Peel and grate potatoes.
- Rinse well in a colander and then dry them in a salad spinner to remove all liquid.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, eggs, salt and pepper and combine.
- Using your hands, make a thin patty of the potato mixture, four inches in diameter.
- In a large frying pan, melt half the butter in medium heat and fry first batch of latkes, about 2 minute on each side, flattening them with a spatula as they cook.
- They should be a crispy golden brown. Remove from heat and drain on paper towels, then place in a warm oven while making the hollandaise and eggs.
For the poached eggs:
- 8 eggs, poached
- 4 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ pound Scottish smoked salmon, thinly sliced
- (Eggs can be made the day before and kept in the refrigerator.)
- Heat four inches of water in a large, shallow pan.
- Add 2 teaspoons vinegar and ½ teaspoon salt to water and heat to a simmer.
- Slip four individual eggs into the simmering water and poach eggs to runny stage.
- Remove to a bowl of ice water to stop cooking.
- Trim wispy edges of eggs with kitchen scissors.
- Repeat with second batch of eggs. To reheat eggs: simmer a pan of water on the stove.
- When ready to serve eggs, put into simmering water and heat about thirty seconds to warm through, but do not overcook yolks.
- Drain eggs on paper towel.
For the hollandaise:
Makes 3 cups
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 teaspoons water
- strained juice of a lemon
- 2 sticks of butter, or 16 tablespoons
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Combine egg yolks, water, lemon juice and salt in a blender or mixing bowl.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over high heat, swirling constantly – do not allow butter to brown.
- With blender on low speed, slowly pour butter into egg mixture until it is fully mixed in.
- By the time all butter is incorporated, mixture should be thickened and creamy.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately, or keep warm in a small pot until serving.
- Do not allow hollandaise to cool, or it will separate.
- Put two latkes on a plate. Cover with slices of smoked salmon, approximately 3 ½ inches in diameter.
- Gently place poached eggs on top of salmon.
- Pour hot hollandaise over eggs.
- Serve immediately.