Prep time: 40 minutes
For the okra:
- 1 pound fresh okra, washed and drained
- ¾ cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- canola oil – enough to fill a small saucepan with two inches of oil
For the corn:
- 6 ears of fresh sweet corn
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Chop the okra into coin-sized slices.
- Mix salt into cornmeal.
- Dip okra into cornmeal and salt mixture and set aside.
- Heat oil in a saucepan until it is smoking hot.
- Gently drop okra pieces into the oil and allow to cook for about a minute, until they turn brown and pop to the top of the oil.
- Remove with slatted spoon and drain well on paper towels.
- While you are frying the okra, boil the corn in a large pot, to which sugar has been added, for 5 minutes (don’t overcook.) Pour off the water and allow corn to cool.
- Cut the corn off the cob and place in a serving bowl.
- Add melted butter, salt, pepper and parsley and mix.
- Mound the cooked okra on top and serve immediately.