Prep time: 40 minutes
- 2 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- zest of one orange, grated
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup rhubarb, finely chopped
- 1 cup red raspberries, cut gently into quarters
Sugar Cinnamon Mix for Doughnuts:
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray doughnut pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, blend flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add in orange zest.
- In another bowl, beat eggs until well combined, adding oil and sugar and whisking until the sugar is incorporated. Add buttermilk and blend.
- Put the rhubarb and raspberries in the flour mixture and combine. Add the sugar mixture and combine gently until fruit and flour are absorbed. You want to do this gently because the raspberries are fragile. If they are beaten too hard they will be smashed.
- Spoon into doughnut pan or bread pan and bake 20 minutes for doughnuts, 30 minutes for a small loaf of bread.
- Combine cinnamon and sugar.
- Brush doughnuts with melted butter, then roll in cinnamon and sugar mix and serve.