Serves: makes 2 dozen
Prep time: 1/2 hour, plus two hours to chill dough and 20 minutes to bake
- 4 ounces cream cheese (half of a package)
- 1 cup flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, but into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg plus one egg for eggwash
- powdered sugar for rolling out dough
- Turbinado raw cane sugar
- filling of your choice: cinnamon, raisins, nuts, chocolate, peanut butter, speculoos, Nutella, fruit preserves
- In a food processor, combine flour and salt, adding cream cheese and butter.
- Pulse several times and add the egg and vanilla.
- Pulse again until dough begins to form large pieces.
- Turn out the dough on to a powdered sugar-covered surface and make two balls of dough. Flatten dough into discs, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour, though dough will keep for several days.
After an hour, preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Roll out dough on powdered sugar into a round; dough should be about ¼ inch thick. Spread the filling in a thin layer over the dough; don’t overdo it or the filling will ooze out of the dough while it’s baking.
- Cut the dough into 12 equal-sized wedges, and beginning with the wider edge, roll the pieces of dough into little crescents, tucking the tip of the dough under when placing it on a Silpat-covered baking sheet. Brush eggwash on rugalah and sprinkle with Turbinado raw cane sugar. Put rugalah into refrigerator to cool for 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until tops are golden brown. Serve.