- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 1 tablespoon cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 slices white bread with the crusts removed
- 2 teaspoons caviar
- 2 egg cups
- 2 demitasse spoons or small teaspoons
- Using a sharp knife, remove the top half-inch of the eggshell, as neatly as possible.
- Pour eggs into bowl, add cream and whisk. Set aside.
- Wash eggshells inside and out, very gently, then put into a small pan of water and bring to a boil.
- Turn off heat and allow shells to remain in the hot water.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter at very low temperature, then add egg and cream mixture, whisking and heating very slowly so that the eggs thicken.
- This should take about ten minutes. Add salt and pepper. Keep eggs warm.
- While eggs are cooking, drain eggshells on paper towels.
- Toast bread and cut into strips, sometimes known as “soldiers”.
- Put shells in eggcups, spoon eggs into shells and top with caviar. Serve with toast strips on the side.