- Serves: makes 24 2 ¼-by-2-inch brownies
- Prep time: I hour to prepare, 10 minutes to cool brownies before frosting and 15 minutes to cool brownies after frosting
- 12 ounces unsalted butter
- 2 cups cocoa powder, sifted (natural or Dutch process)
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line and 9-by-13-inch pan with foil or parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking oil spray.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat and add the cocoa powder, stirring to combine. Let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs together, then add the sugars and vanilla extract, stirring to combine.
- Add the cooled butter-chocolate mixture, then fold in the flour and salt until just combined; do not overmix.
- Spread the batter evenly in the pan, making sure the corners are filled.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a crust forms on the surface and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clean.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack; cool completely before cutting the brownies.
Chocolate Ganache Topping
- ½ cup heavy or whipping cream
- 6 ounces dark or bittersweet (not unsweetened) chocolate, finely chopped
- Heat the cream on the stovetop or in the microwave until it begins to boil.
- Remove from the heat and add all the chocolate at once.
- Stir continuously until the chocolate melts and ganache is smooth and shiny, then pour over the brownies.
- Cool completely before cutting.