Prep time: thirty minutes plus one hour for yeast to rise
One kuchen serves 6
This recipe makes two nine-inch kuchens (Please note I used 2/3 of the dough to make one really big kuchen for the photo, just because I wanted to use the scalloped pie plate, and the other 1/4 of the dough to make a mini-me kuchen. Don’t want to create a false impression about the size of kuchen you’re going to get!)
- 1 cup lukewarm milk
- 1/4 cup sugar for proofing yeast and 1/4 cup sugar for dough mixture
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cakes of yeast
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 and 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- Mix together milk and 1/4 cup sugar.
- Pour yeast into mixture and allow to become frothy (about five minutes).
- Mix together flour, salt and 1/4 cup sugar.
- Using a dough hook mixer attachment, stir in margarine, then eggs.
- As soon as ingredients are combined, turn dough out onto floured board and knead for less than a minute.
- Cover dough and let it rise in a warm spot for an hour (I usually use the top of the stove for the warm spot because the oven is preheating).
- After dough has risen, separate dough into two pieces and gently pat into greased 9-inch pie pans.
- Mix the strawberries with sugar and graham crackers and place on top of dough, leaving a two-inch crust around the outside.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.