Prep time: 25 minutes
- 3 boneless chicken breasts, pounded to be thin
- 2 quarts of your favorite chicken stock (I use Knorr bouillon cubes, one cube per cup of water)
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- juice of ½ lemon, plus 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemongrass, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 8-ounce container of udon noodles
- 1 cup fresh sugar snap peas
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- pinch of cayenne pepper to taste
- white and black sesame seeds for garnish
- 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro
- Grill boneless chicken breasts until cooked through on a grill that has been sprayed with cooking spray, allowing the edges to brown. Set aside.
- Fill large soup pot with chicken stock and add ginger, lemon juice, lemon grass, sesame oil, and soy sauce and cook at medium heat for 20 minutes.
- In a separate pot, bring several quarts of water to a boil and cook udon noodles until tender – about five minutes.
- Lift enough udon noodles for one serving into a bowl. Pour in the hot soup over it, and add peas, spinach, scallions, cilantro and sesame seeds.
- Add a pinch of cayenne and correct seasoning (adding more cayenne if you like it hot).