Vegetarian Spaghetti Sauce with Whole Wheat Pasta
Prep time: one hour
- 1 pound whole grain spaghetti
For the sauce:
- 1 small eggplant, cut into ¼ inch cubes
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 8 ounces cremini or button mushrooms, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- Parmesan cheese
- Put chopped eggplant on a tray layered with a paper towel and sprinkle with salt.
- Allow to stand 15 minutes. Heat a large skillet and fry the eggplant in 2 tablespoons of olive oil until it is golden brown.
- Remove from pan and set aside. Using same pan, heat the rest of the olive oil over medium-high heat, and add garlic and onion.
- Stir until golden brown.
- Add tomato paste, oregano, and pepper flakes, and cook for a minute, stirring frequently.
- Add vegetables and cook at medium heat for five minutes.
- Add salt and pepper, and the crushed tomatoes.
- Simmer sauce until vegetables are tender and sauce has thickened slightly – about fifteen minutes.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and place on a serving platter.
- Spoon spaghetti sauce over pasta, and serve with Parmesan cheese.