Makes: 8 muffins
Prep Time: 50 minutes (including 25 minutes baking)
- 1 cup fresh cherries, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 quarter cup canola oil
- 2 cups flour
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar, plus brown sugar for sprinkling on top of muffins
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup whole milk, plus 1/3 cup cream
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a saucepan with a lid, bring quinoa and 1 cup of water to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cover, and cook until water is absorbed – about 12 minutes.
- Brush the inside of a muffin pan with oil.
- Whisk together sugar, flour, baking powder, salt, and 2 cups cooked quinoa.
- In a separate bowl, mix together oil, milk, cream, egg, and vanilla.
- Add milk to flour mixture. Stir until combined, then stir in cherries.
- Divide batter into muffin tin, filling each cup ¾ of the way full. Sprinkle tops with additional brown sugar.
- Bake 25 minutes. Allow muffins to cool slightly, and serve.