Serves: makes 9 pancakes in a cup
Prep time: 45 minutes, including 25 minutes of baking time
- 3 cups pancake mix, and eggs and milk, as called for in the instructions for the mix
- 2 cups fruit (I used red raspberries and blueberries)
- ½ cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- maple syrup for adding to pancakes
- paper cupcake cups that are strong enough to stand on their own, or standard pleated paper cupcake holders in a cupcake pan
- In a small saucepan, put sugar, water, and 2 tablespoons of fruit and cook at low heat for 10-12 minutes until fruit dissolves and a thick syrup is formed.
- Wash remaining fruit and drain and set aside. Make pancake batter according to directions on container.
- When fruit syrup is thickened, pour over remaining fruit and mix together.
- Fill paper cupcake holders ¼ full with pancake batter.
- Layer a spoonful of fruit into the holders. Pour just enough pancake batter over the fruit to cover it, but do not allow batter to be more than three-quarters full in each cup.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes (the length of time will vary, based on the size of the cupcake holders) until golden brown on top.
- When ready to eat, cut a small round circle of pancake out of the top of the cupcake and pour some syrup into it.
- Grab a fork and go!
Note: If you’re making these the night before, store at room temperature and heat in microwave for 45 seconds before serving.