Prep time: 1 ½ hours, including 1 hour for bars to freeze
- 2 12-ounce bags of Nestle’s semisweet chocolate morsels
- 2 bags of Werther’s or Kraft vanilla caramels
- 1 cup Planter’s salted peanuts
- ¼ cup cream
- Melt one bag of the chocolate morsels slowly in a double boiler, or over a pan of simmering water, stirring often until chocolate is completely melted.
- Line an 8×8-inch baking pan with waxed paper, leaving several inches of the paper hanging over the side to make it easy to remove later.
- Pour the chocolate into the baking pan and put in refrigerator for 30 minutes until chocolate is hardened.
- Chocolate should not be more than ¼-inch thick.
- While chocolate is in the refrigerator, unwrap the caramels and melt slowly in double boiler, stirring often.
- Add cream and mix well.
- Allow caramel to cool a bit. When chocolate is hardened, pour a thin layer of caramel over the chocolate, not more than ¼” thick.
- Place peanuts thickly on top of caramel and put baking pan back in refrigerator for caramel to harden.
- Melt remaining chocolate in double-boiler.
- When caramel is hardened (about 15-20 minutes), pour final layer of chocolate over peanuts and allow to cool in refrigerator for – minutes.)
- Remove baking pan from refrigerator and using the waxed paper hanging over the sides of the pan, lift the block of candy out of the pan, and place on a cutting board.
- Remove waxed paper and cut candy into desired pieces.
- Store in refrigerator to keep candy fresh, but give it ten minutes to cool before serving.