HOT BUTTERED TOMATO SOUP WITH CHALLAH BREAD CROUTONS
Prep Time: one hour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 28-ounce can of diced tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup cream
- 3 slices challah bread, chopped into squares
- small pat of butter for each cup of soup for garnish
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped-?
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot.
- Saute garlic and onions until wilted and slightly brown.
- Add tomato paste and stir until it caramelizes.
- Add chicken stock, carrots, canned tomatoes, salt, pepper and sugar.
- Let it simmer for 20 minutes on low heat.
- Turn off heat and puree soup.
- Add cream and check seasoning.
- Chop challah bread into one-inch squares and toast in 350 degree oven for 4 or 5 minutes.
- Pour soup into cups, dot with butter and sprinkle with croutons before serving.