-from the Little House Cookbook by Barbara M. Walker
Prep time: 30 minutes
Makes: ¾ pound of candy
- 1 cup dark molasses
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 nine-inch pie pans
- Fill pie pans with fresh snow, then set outside in snow to stay cold while making the candy.
- Combine molasses and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to medium heat and cook for five minutes, stirring regularly to prevent burning.
- Test the syrup by dripping from a spoon into a glass of cold water until the syrup forms a firm ball in the water, or if you have a candy thermometer, heat syrup to 245 degrees.
- Remove from heat and divide hot syrup between two pyrex measuring cups.
- Bring in pans of snow and pour syrup onto snow in a thin stream, making lines and curlicue patterns if you like.
- Allow candy to harden, then break into bite-sized pieces.