Prep time: 30 minutes, 90 minutes total time (vegetables can be made several days in advance; after marinating, skewers can be assembled in just a few minutes)
- 2 summer squash or zucchini, cut into 3-inch by 1-inch slices
- 2 red, orange or yellow bell peppers, cut into 3-inch by 1-inch slices
- 4 oz. bocconcini mozzarella
- 4 Tablespoons virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 12 rosemary skewers, 5 inches long with rosemary left on top inch of skewers (these are easily made from sprigs of rosemary: strip a 5-inch rosemary sprig of all but the topmost leaves and they become natural skewers that add flavor to the hors d’oeuvres)
- Reserve leaves from rosemary stripped off stems and chop roughly.
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Place squash and peppers on baking sheet, skin side up on peppers, and spread in a single layer.
- Drizzle with ½ Tablespoon olive oil, salt and pepper and a sprinkle a little of the loose rosemary.
- Roast until tender, 15-20 minutes. Let cool slightly and remove skin from peppers.
- Whisk garlic, vinegar and 3 Tablespoons of oil in a large bowl and add salt, pepper and a teaspoon of loose rosemary.
- Add vegetables and cheese and allow to marinate for at least one hour.
- Drain vegetables and bocconcini, then spear on rosemary skewers. Serve.