Prep time: 1 hour
- 2 cups unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 4 cups pastry flour
- 1 1/3 cups cornstarch
- Superfine sugar for sprinkling
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy, using an electric mixer.
- In another bowl, stir the flour and cornstarch together. Gently mix the flour mixture into the butter until it forms a soft dough.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate about 15 minutes.
- Preheat over to 325 degrees.
- Dust dough lightly with flour and roll it out to ¾ inch thickness on a piece of parchment paper.
- Transfer dough and parchment paper to a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, or until lightly golden and firm.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with superfine sugar.
- While still warm, use a knife to cut the shortbread into pieces. (I had a shortbread mold, which I used for this recipe.
- If you use a mold, give the shortbread five minutes less in the oven.
- If the shortbread does not come out of the mold easily, give the back of the mold a sharp tap with the end of a knife. That will loosen it.)