Hot breakfast cereals are back, and when you find a recipe that can be made days ahead of time and kept in the fridge to be microwaved as needed, it’s a keeper. I first had this oatmeal/quinoa mix at Malibu Farms, and while I’ve changed the proportion of oatmeal to quinoa to get a nice thick morning porridge, the treats you can load on top are what make this your own private breakfast nirvana. Don’t be afraid to mix it up – coconut milk, flax seeds, maple syrup, hazelnuts, loads of fresh fruit – it’s all good. (My personal favorite is all of the above.) This is a whole different experience from the lumpy hot cereal I ate growing up (sorry, Mom!) and more like a hot and healthy breakfast sundae. Enjoy!
Adapted from the Malibu Farms Cookbook
Prep time: 25 minutes
- 1 ½ cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup quinoa, well-washed
- 8 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh fruit, nuts, flax seeds, shredded coconut, maple syrup and coconut milk for flavor
- In a large saucepan combine quinoa, oats and salt.
- Add water and simmer for 20 minutes, until the cereal is thick.
- Serve with your favorite combination of fruits, nuts, seeds, maple syrup, and coconut milk for flavor.