I’m always on the hunt for a really great chicken-based burger – one that stands up to the weight and flavor of a cheeseburger – and this is it. The combination of bacon and ricotta in the burger is so good I don’t know why this hasn’t replaced McDonald’s Big Mac. It couldn’t be more simple: just mix up ground chicken, ricotta, and bits of crispy bacon, throw it on a hot grill, add your favorite condiments and a brioche bun, and be sure you don’t leave out the sriracha and vegenaise sauce – it’s heaven!
This will be a hit at a Memorial Day picnic, offered with lots of crunchy veggies to pile on top, and they would also make great sliders if you’re looking for a casual cocktail treat. Any way you serve it, you’re going to love it! And if you’re ever in LA, it’s worth a ride out to Malibu to gaze at the ocean and tuck into the amazing healthy food being served at Malibu Farm.
Adapted from the Malibu Farm Cookbook
Prep time: 20 minutes
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 4 slices bacon, crisply cooked, drained and broken into bits
- ¾ cup ricotta cheese
- juice and zest of one lemon
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- ¼ cup red onion
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- brioche burger buns
For the sriracha aioli:
- ½ cup vegenaise or mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sriracha sauce
For the garnish:
- Fresh sliced cucumber
- Tomato slices
- Red onion slices
- Bean sprouts
- Mix ground chicken, bacon bits, lemon juice and zest, parsley, pepper, salt, parmesan cheese, and ricotta cheese by hand until fully combined.
- Form into 4 burger patties. Saute in a pan or grill for a few minutes on each side until burgers are browned.
- Toast buns, add arugula, tomatoes and onions to the bottom, topping with the burger and finishing off with the sriracha sauce. Serve.
- These burgers freeze well, so make a double batch – you’ll be glad you did.